Identity

Identity

Signage

01_kettles_yard_identity.jpg

Type Design

02_ky_logo.jpg
21_kettles_yard_identity_1.jpg
04_kettles_yard_identity.jpg
03_kettles_yard_identity.jpg
05_kettles_yard_identity.jpg
06_kettlesyard_sheets.jpg
07_kettlesyard_sheets.jpg
08_kettles_yard_identity.jpg
09_kettles_yard_identity.jpg
10_kettles_yard_identity.jpg
11_kettlesyard_sheets.jpg
12_kettles_yard_identity.jpg
13_kettles_yard_identity.jpg
14_kettle-s-yard_stationery.jpg
15_kettle-s-yard_ian-hamilton-finlay_group.jpg
16_kettles_yard_identity.jpg
17_kettlesyard_sheets.jpg
18_kettles_yard_identity.jpg
19_kettlesyard_sheets.jpg
20_kettles_yard_identity.jpg

Digital

22_kettle-s-yard_website.jpg
23_kettle-s-yard_website.jpg
24_kettle-s-yard_website_3.jpg

Text

Kettle’s Yard is the University of Cambridge’s modern and contemporary art gallery. Between 1958 and 1973 it was the home of former Tate curator H.S. ‘Jim’ Ede1 and his wife Helen. Through his friendships with artists and other like-minded people, Jim gathered a remarkable collection of art over his lifetime, which he donated along with the house itself to the University of Cambridge. Subsequent extensions2 to the property expanded the house and its collection, and added a series of contemporary gallery spaces and a shop.

We were commissioned to design a new visual identity for Kettle’s Yard ahead of a major development project by Jamie Fobert Architects. We created a characterful logotype and a bespoke cut of Super Grotesk for Kettle’s Yard to use, which was then developed across a broad range of printed communications materials for which we created templates. To capture the beauty of the house within these items, we art-directed new photography of Kettle’s Yard by Ed Park. Click here to visit the website.


  1. 13_01_jim_fish_1.jpg 

  2. The extension, built in 1970, was designed by Sir Leslie Martin, one of the most prominent modernist British architects of the twentieth century. He was perhaps best known for the design of the Royal Festival Hall, and was made head of the University of Cambridge Architecture School in 1956.

    extension.jpg