Senior Designer (brand, motion and web design focus)
We are currently seeking a Senior Graphic Designer for an immediate start. This versatile role has a strong focus on creating brands through bespoke typographic solutions, 2D motion graphics and web design. The designer will be responsible for conceptualising visual identities and website designs, acting as a key client contact and autonomously managing their projects. The role will also encompass a range of APFEL's wider creative endeavours – from exhibition design to publications.
This is a full-time position (37.5 hours, 5 days per week) based in-person at our studio in east London. Salary: £32,000–£36,000.
Roles & Responsibilities
Creative Direction & Design
- Develop innovative and intelligent design solutions – across branding, campaign creation, web design and 2D motion design – which respond to our clients’ needs and goals.
- Act as a creative design lead on projects with multiple work-streams for APFEL’s clients, as assigned by the Directors.
- Prepare and confidently deliver creative presentations both internally and to our clients, both with and without the Directors.
- Design of logos, logotypes, lettering, symbols and illustration.
- Originate and develop typefaces.
- Artwork file for production.
- Art direction; communicating ideas and concepts to the wider team, driving regular clear and objective critiques of creative work in the studio.
- Act as key client contact on projects, including managing expectations and feedback process, while cultivating great partnerships.
- Autonomously manage projects and production, being responsible for their schedule and delivery.
- Confidently manage multiple workflows and clients at the same time.
- Demonstrating commercial awareness on projects by highlighting concerns and proposing solutions in mind of schedules and resourcing.
- Support the Directors in planning, resourcing and servicing APFEL's clients.
- Mentor and inspire other members of the team, and delegating work to junior staff members and in-studio contractors, where appropriate.
- Managing creative partners/associates.
- Support Directors with new business activities.
- Proactive networking and acting as a strong ambassador for APFEL.
- Assist the Directors by pro-actively contribute to the recruitment process for junior members of the team and interns.
Skills & Experience
Design & Technical Skills
- Degree in Graphic Design (BA or equivalent) or higher (MA).
- 5+ years experience in a graphic design role within a creative studio or equivalent, including managing projects from start to finish.
- Strong knowledge of motion and typography
- An interest in the print and book production process.
- Ability to accurately artwork files for production and sign off artworking carried out by junior members of the team.
- Advanced technical skills in using Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere, Figma and Glyphs.
- Experience with 3D animation software (Cinema 4D, Blender) is a bonus.
- Advanced in MS Office, Pages, Keynote, Google Suite.
- Proven understanding of web performance optimisation, responsive design for cross-browser and cross-platform development experience following best practices.
Project Management Skills
- Proven ability to creatively lead projects, from concept to completion, with responsibility for their delivery.
- Ability to follow and interpret briefs correctly as well as develop an existing design consistently, creatively, appropriately across extensive materials.
- Ability to design, research and artwork under the direction of the Directors.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines, keep to budgets and keep cool under pressure.
- Able to prioritise workloads and keep Directors updated on projects.
Interpersonal & General Skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, working in a client-facing role to articulate concepts to clients.
- Act as a confident presenter, often without the Directors present.
- Effective organisational and time management skills.
- Knowledge of creative studios, graphic design, 2D motion and web design.
- Ability to work and develop creatively, individually and as part of a team.
- Enjoy working collaboratively in a fast-paced studio.
- Keen, proactive and quick to learn.
- Adaptable, flexible, calm and self-motivated.
- Solutions focused, taking a detail oriented approach to problem-solving.
- Comprehensive knowledge of global brand and design industry and art industry.
- Ability to mentor other members of the team.
How to apply
Please send the below to email@example.com with the subject line ‘Senior Designer’:
- A PDF or link to your portfolio A PDF of your CV
- A covering letter helping us understand why you should be considered for this position
- A completed Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form
- Your start date availability
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Deadline for submission: 12 October 2023.
Please note that A Practice for Everyday Life reserves the right to withdraw this listing prior to the official closing date, therefore it is recommended to submit applications early.
The right to work in the United Kingdom is essential.